Site of the oldest continuous community of Free-Born Africans in Virginia. Cuffeytown-Longridge history has been traced back to the 18th century. The community encompasses an area that contains many historic sites including Gabriel Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church located at 2216 Long Ridge Road. It is the oldest A.M.E.Z. church in Chesapeake, founded in 1866.
Cuffeytown Road was named to commemorate the service of the Cuffeytown 13, a group of African Virginia Union Army Civil War Veterans who served in the 19th, 5th, and 36th U.S. Colored Infantries. These veterans are buried in the Cuffeytown History Cemetery. The Bells Mill Historical Research and Restoration Society sponsors tours of Cuffeytown and 20 other historical sites.
In November 2007, the Buffalo Soldiers Motorcycle Club of Hampton Roads, sponsored the dedication of a flag pole at the Cuffeytown Historic Cemetery.
For the first time, American flags waved High above the Cuffeytown Historic Cemetery. The Cuffeytown Historic Cemetery has interred the largest number of Afro-Union Civil War soldiers in any
non-governmental and non-veteran organization cemetery in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Cuffeytown 13 served in the 10th, 36th, and 5th United States Colored Troops infantry regiments. They served in numerous battles including Wilson’s Wharf, Petersburg and Chaffin Farm/New Market Heights.